About Weldon's Practical Needlework

From Interweave Press:

About 1885, Weldon’s began publishing a series of fourteen-page monthly newsletters, available by subscription, each title featuring patterns and instructions for projects using a single technique.

About 1888, the company began to publish Weldon’s Practical Needlework, each volume of which consisted of twelve issues (one year) of several newsletters bound together with a cloth cover.

Each volume contains hundreds of projects, illustrations, information on little-known techniques, glimpses of fashion as it was at the turn of the twentieth century, and brief histories of needlework. Other techniques treated include making objects from crinkled paper, tatting, netting, beading, patchwork, crewelwork, appliqué, cross-stitch, canvaswork, ivory embroidery, torchon lace, and much more.

From 1999 through 2005, Interweave published facsimiles of the first twelve volumes of Weldon’s Practical Needlework.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Project 9: Wrap in Striped Pattern

Here's section one of the shawl (the "striped" part).  A simple pattern of yo, slip 1 purlwise, k2tog. for 27 rows. 

You'd think that would be a no-brainer.  But I had to redo this section 3 times before I got those 27 rows finished.  First time I misread the instructions and stuck a "knit plain" row in between the pattern rows.  Second time I dropped a stitch AND forgot what I was doing in the middle of a row (I  was watching "Game of Thrones" and was SO upset about a completely unexpected plot development I had to put my knitting down.  When I picked it up again, I forgot there were no "knit plain" rows, and knit one row).  Third attempt I again dropped a stitch, but was able to pick it up with a crochet hook and finish the section.

The next section looks like it has some flowers formed with bobbles of some sort.  I'm having a hard time creating a chart for this section.  Maybe some knitting patterns are just easier in written form rather than creating a lace chart.  "Modern" knitters do like charts though, so I'm going to try to create one that isn't too confusing.  We shall see.

Once I've knit a "flower" section, I should be able to decide if this is the shawl I want to make using my pretty Madelinetosh Lace yarn in "William Morris" colorway.  I'm still on the fence.  I also need to choose something to take on my trip to Portland this weekend.  Pia and I are meeting Susan, Pam and Tate! for the Rose City Yarn Crawl, 19 yarn shops in one fabulous weekend!

I'm contemplating a really cool pair of plaid knee stockings that are in one of the Weldon's books.  If I can find it and chart the color pattern today, I think I will take that with me.  If not, lace shawl goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment