About Weldon's Practical Needlework

From Interweave Press:

About 1885, Weldon’s began publishing a series of fourteen-page monthly newsletters, available by subscription, each title featuring patterns and instructions for projects using a single technique.

About 1888, the company began to publish Weldon’s Practical Needlework, each volume of which consisted of twelve issues (one year) of several newsletters bound together with a cloth cover.

Each volume contains hundreds of projects, illustrations, information on little-known techniques, glimpses of fashion as it was at the turn of the twentieth century, and brief histories of needlework. Other techniques treated include making objects from crinkled paper, tatting, netting, beading, patchwork, crewelwork, appliqué, cross-stitch, canvaswork, ivory embroidery, torchon lace, and much more.

From 1999 through 2005, Interweave published facsimiles of the first twelve volumes of Weldon’s Practical Needlework.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Project 14: 9 Point Star Shawl Bites The Dust

Gah.  I was going along swimmingly.  Until I reached Round 122, when the *%^& hit the fan.  The Weldon's instructions evidently have an error.  One I can't seem to rectify, since I don't really know what the lace pattern is supposed to look like.  And I can't fudge the pattern apparently, as the next lace pattern round is now messed up too.

So disappointed, but I don't think I can salvage this one.  Without knowing what the lace looks like, I just can't seem to correct the problem and continue.

So this project is reluctantly going to be ripped out and I'll start with something new tomorrow.

But since this shawl was already charted and published in Victorian Lace Today (at least I assume it's the same shawl, though it sounds like Jane Sowerby may have used a different border on her "Cap Shawl), I guess I'm okay with abandoning this one.  No point in reinventing the wheel.  I'm nowhere near the accomplished lace designer that Sowerby is, so I assume she figured out the error and corrected it in her pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment