About Weldon's Practical Needlework

From Interweave Press:

About 1885, Weldon’s began publishing a series of fourteen-page monthly newsletters, available by subscription, each title featuring patterns and instructions for projects using a single technique.

About 1888, the company began to publish Weldon’s Practical Needlework, each volume of which consisted of twelve issues (one year) of several newsletters bound together with a cloth cover.

Each volume contains hundreds of projects, illustrations, information on little-known techniques, glimpses of fashion as it was at the turn of the twentieth century, and brief histories of needlework. Other techniques treated include making objects from crinkled paper, tatting, netting, beading, patchwork, crewelwork, appliqué, cross-stitch, canvaswork, ivory embroidery, torchon lace, and much more.

From 1999 through 2005, Interweave published facsimiles of the first twelve volumes of Weldon’s Practical Needlework.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Project 16: A Cosy Scarf

I think this is a stole rather than a scarf.  118 stitches wide and each side is 470+ rows.  That would make a pretty wide & long scarf.

I swatched with a couple of yarns from the stash:

Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift using US #6 needles.  Good stitch definition but I decided I wanted something much lighter in weight.

Madeline Tosh Lace in the "William Morris" colorway I've been knitting with for the last month (my failed 9 Point Star Shawl)  and #3 needles.  Love the look, but I don't know if I can face this yarn for another project.  Decided William Morris needs to go back in the stash for a while.

I have a lovely skein of hand-dyed yarn I bought on the Rose City Yarn Crawl last month.  It's from Tactile Fiber Arts Studio and is a lace weight 50/50 merino/silk blend.  I have 1090 yards, which should be enough for this project.  The color is "Dew" a really pretty soft blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment