About Weldon's Practical Needlework

From Interweave Press:

About 1885, Weldon’s began publishing a series of fourteen-page monthly newsletters, available by subscription, each title featuring patterns and instructions for projects using a single technique.

About 1888, the company began to publish Weldon’s Practical Needlework, each volume of which consisted of twelve issues (one year) of several newsletters bound together with a cloth cover.

Each volume contains hundreds of projects, illustrations, information on little-known techniques, glimpses of fashion as it was at the turn of the twentieth century, and brief histories of needlework. Other techniques treated include making objects from crinkled paper, tatting, netting, beading, patchwork, crewelwork, appliqué, cross-stitch, canvaswork, ivory embroidery, torchon lace, and much more.

From 1999 through 2005, Interweave published facsimiles of the first twelve volumes of Weldon’s Practical Needlework.

Monday, July 30, 2012

String-Or-Nothing

Whew!  I rely heavily on Kim Salazar's excellent list of historical yarns with suggestions for modern equivalents, and was horrified when my link quit working.

A Ravelry message to Kim reassured me that the list was alive and well, with a new address.

Crisis averted.

Project 20 is languishing while I finish up a contract project.  Hope to get the mitts started today with the charted directions I did have time to write up.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the panic. I had to port the blog from my old independent server to a new host. Everything should still be there, but links to subpages are broken. If you can't find something you've seen there before using the search page, please leave me a note and I'll do some archaeology for you. In the mean time, I'm working on moving over the knitting terms glossary, the various needle size conversion and historical terms charts. Happy retroknitting! -k.

    ReplyDelete