About Weldon's Practical Needlework

From Interweave Press:

About 1885, Weldon’s began publishing a series of fourteen-page monthly newsletters, available by subscription, each title featuring patterns and instructions for projects using a single technique.

About 1888, the company began to publish Weldon’s Practical Needlework, each volume of which consisted of twelve issues (one year) of several newsletters bound together with a cloth cover.

Each volume contains hundreds of projects, illustrations, information on little-known techniques, glimpses of fashion as it was at the turn of the twentieth century, and brief histories of needlework. Other techniques treated include making objects from crinkled paper, tatting, netting, beading, patchwork, crewelwork, appliqué, cross-stitch, canvaswork, ivory embroidery, torchon lace, and much more.

From 1999 through 2005, Interweave published facsimiles of the first twelve volumes of Weldon’s Practical Needlework.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Project 28: Chest Protector Finished



I opted not to add the 2nd round of crocheted edging as I couldn't get it to make the "rickrack" look of the engraving.  And Weldon's gave me permission not to add the edging if desired :-)

I see I made a mistake about halfway through, working the p1, k1 "rough side" pattern on the wrong side.  Oops.

I can see where this would have been a lovely warm addition to the invalid's sick room equipment.  Definitely soft and cozy on an inflamed chest.  My daughter has a cold, I'm going to have her try it out tomorrow when she takes a sick day.  Now if I can also convince her to try a mustard plaster...

No comments:

Post a Comment